Dr. Richard McLaughlin completed his orthodontic training at the University of Southern California in 1976. Since then he has been in the full time practice of orthodontics in San Diego, California. He has lectured extensively in the United States as well as internationally.
He is a member of the Pacific Coast Society of Orthodontists, the American Association of Orthodontists, and a Diplomate of the American Board of Orthodontics. He is the Component Director of the Southern California Component of the Edward H. Angle Society of Orthodontists and is the former President of the National Angle Society. He is the recipient of the 2009 American Board of Orthodontics Dale Wade Award as well as the 2010 Pacific Coast Society of Orthodontists Award of Merit.
In addition, Dr. McLaughlin is a clinical professor at the University of Southern California, Department of Orthodontics in Los Angeles, California, and an associate professor at Saint Louis University, Department of Orthodontics. He has written more than 30 journal articles, and co-authored 5 textbooks.
- 1994, 1998, 2000 Instructor of the Year Award University of Southern California, Department of Orthodontics
- 1996 Arthur B. Lewis Lectureship Award Ohio State University, College of Dentistry
- 2005, 2006 Candidate from the Pacific Coast Society of Orthodontics for the Albert H. Ketchum Award
- 2005 Jarabak Award Indiana University, Department of Orthodontics
- 2009 Dale B. Wade Award, American Association of Orthodontists
- 2010 Award of Merit, Pacific Coast Society of Orthodontists